Robyn Rebollo is the Law Librarian for McGuire, Woods, Battle and Boothe LLP in McLean, VA.
(Archived May 17, 1999)
Lexis recently released two new sources that provide some useful information for litigating attorneys and corporate intelligence researchers.
Mealey’s Litigation Advisor
Mealey’s Litigation Advisor is a group file that contains articles written exclusively for Lexis by Mealey’s staff and special correspondents. The group file is broken down into three different areas: News, Practice and Trends & Review.
- Covers recent news affecting litigators. Topics include attorneys fees, expert admissibility, discovery, sanctions for abuses and more.
- Includes articles to advise attorneys and in-house counsel on how they can function and perform more effectively. Topics include handling audits, corporate client communications, proving or disproving damages, presenting opening remarks and more.
Trends & Review (MEATAR):
- Newsletter carrying articles about strategies, new approaches, precedents, new rules and laws that impact litigation practice.
The coverage for both group and individual files begins at January 1999. Mealey’s Litigation Advisor is updated weekly. The cost to run a single search in the ADVISR group file is $32.00. Cost for a single search in the individual files listed above is $27.00.
I decided to perform a search in the ADVISR group file. I searched for articles that discussed “conflict of interest.” Being a fairly new resource, there wasn’t a large selection of articles to choose from. I did, however, locate two relevant articles listed below:
January 21, 1999
HEADLINE: New Jersey Court Disbars Attorney For Using Runner In Crash Cases, Loaning Clients Money, Not Advising Client, Having Conflict Of Interest
February 5, 1999
HEADLINE: 3rd Circuit Adopts Test For Removing Class Counsel For Conflict Of Interest When Some Dissatisfied Plaintiffs Become Objectors And Adversaries
- Libraries to access Mealey’s Litigation Advisor Publications: 2NDARY, CORP, LEGNEW, LEXREF, LITGAT
- Group File: ADVISR
- Individual Files: MEANWS, MEAPRC, MEATAR
- Coverage: January 1999
- Frequency: Weekly, usually on Friday
Info USA’s Inactive Business Database
A great new resource for corporate intelligence research is Info USA’s Inactive Business Database. It contains over 1.2 million records of business records removed from Info USA’s Company Database. And 50-60,000 records are added each month.
Often attorneys will ask me to locate key facts on a defunct business such as business contact/owner, address and primary function of the business. The Info USA’s Inactive Database provides this type of information plus primary SIC code number, sales figures, number of employees and city/county population figures from where the company resided. Searchers can use the following search segments when conducting a search: COMPANY, ADDRESS, CONTACT, DATE, ABI-NO AND 2nd-SIC.
Important Reminder for Transactional Users
Lexis transactional users are charged for the number of searches they conduct, and not for the amount of time spent online. Please think a search through before going online. When necessary, conduct a broad search and then narrow your results by using the FOCUS search feature. If you need search assistance, please the Lexis Librarian Hotline @ 1-800-331-5977. In the meantime, here are a few smart search tips:
- Want to know the price of a particular file? Use the .pr command when browsing through a library.
- You can always save any number of searches in a log before signing off. If you want to save the results of a particular search, type .keep, and this will place it in your search log. To retrieve the search again without incurring an additional cost, simply type .log whenever you sign back on Lexis.
Listed below is a record sample:
F W WOOLWORTH CO
9110 MATHIS AVE
MANASSAS, VA 20110-5291 UNITED STATES
TEL: 703-368-2612 FAX: 703-368-6020
CONTACT: DOROTHY HOPSON MANAGER
COUNTY: MANASSAS CITY
POPULATION: 25,000 – 49,999 BB
PRI-SIC: 531102 DEPARTMENT STORES
SALES: 1,000,000 – 2,499,000 CC
AD-SIZE: REGULAR LISTING
LOAD-DATE: February 4, 1999
Cost to run a single search in the Info USA’s Inactive Database is $21.00.
- Library to access the Info USA’s Inactive Database: COMPNY
- Individual file name: DBADCO
- Coverage: Current
- Update schedule: Update Monthly